Home Travel How to Get a Permanent Residency for Australia

How to Get a Permanent Residency for Australia


Australia is a great country to live and work. That’s the reason many people want to immigrate and live in Australia. In this article, we will try to give you some hints on how to get a permanent residency for Australia, which can eventually convert to citizenship.

If you are a skilled professional, the Australian government offers many types of visas. Let’s look at some common types of visas.

Permanent Residency

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS) visa

This visa allows the nominated workers to live and work in the country permanently.

To be eligible for a visa as a professional employee, you should have an in-demand profession in Australia.

The Australian government provides a list of such occupations, and you can check it here to see if your profession is listed.

You should have a minimum of three years of working experience in your profession to apply for this visa.

English is the official language of Australia. So, the Australian government requires anyone who wants to come and work in Australia to have a proficient English language.

You should prove that you have a sufficient level of English. To prove it, you should pass a test like IELTS. Many immigrants struggle to get a high score in the IELTS test, so make sure to enroll in a school that can help you get a high score in the IELTS test.

To qualify for a worker visa, you should be under 45 years old. Also, you should be in good health and character. This means you shouldn’t have serious health issues that can harm others. For example, people with HIV can’t obtain a visa because they can hurt others.

About the good character, you shouldn’t be imprisoned for severe crimes, and you should prove it by showing police certificates from countries where you lived for more than one year.

You must have a job offer from an Australian employer. The job should be related to your profession. For example, if you are a software engineer and have a job offer for a civil engineer position, this might not work.

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) visa

To qualify for this visa, you must be eligible for all the ENS visa requirements mentioned above. Additionally, you must agree to work for a minimum of two years with the employer who nominates you.

As you understand, some employers might want to make sure that people whom they nominate will stay with them for at least two years. In this case, they will offer the RSMS visa rather than the ENS visa.

Skilled independent visa

This visa is for invited workers and New Zealand citizens with skills. Obtaining this visa, you can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia.

To qualify for this visa, you must be eligible for all the requirements mentioned in the ENS visa except for having an offer from an employer. You don’t need to be nominated by an Australian employer for this visa.

However, you should undergo a point test for this visa and get a minimum of 65 points.

You can find how the points are calculated below.

Australia’s Immigration Point System

The point system for those who must undergo a points test:


18 - 2525 points
25 - 3330 points
33 - 4025 points
40 - 4515 points

English Language Skills

Competent English (IELTS 6)0 points
Proficient English (IELTS 7)10 points
Superior English (IELTS 8)20 points

Overseas Skilled Employment

Less than three years0 points
3 - 55 points
5 - 810 points
At least 8 years15 points

Australian Skilled Employment

Less than a year0 points
1 - 35 points
3 - 510 points
5 - 8 15 points
At least 8 20 points

Other Qualifications

EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONSDoctorate from an Australian educational institution or another educational institution of recognized standard20 points
Bachelor’s degree from an Australian educational institution. Or at least a bachelor qualification from another educational institution of recognized standard15 points
Diploma or trade qualification from an Australian educational institution10 points
Achieved a qualification or award that is recognized by the relevant authority for your nominated skilled occupation as being suitable for that job10 points
Specialist Education QualificationMasters degree by research or a doctorate from an Australian educational institution that covers at least two academic years’ study in an applicable field5 points
Australian Study RequirementMust meet the Australian study requirement5 points
Professional Year in AustraliaCompletion of a professional year in the country5 points
Community Language CredentialHold a recognized qualification in a credentialled community language5 points
Study in Regional AustraliaAt least one diploma, degree, or a trade certificate from an Australian educational institution which meets the Australian study requirement achieved while living and studying in an eligible area of regional Australia5 points
Partner SkillsSpouse or de facto partner must also be an applicant for a visa and meet age, English, and skill criteria5 points
Nomination or SponsorshipInvited to apply for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa because you were nominated, or are being sponsored for a Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa by a family member that has been accepted by the Minister10 points



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here