If you take care of your hand tools, they will serve you well for a long time. This will ensure that you won’t have to spend money on tools unnecessarily. Routine and proper maintenance of these tools will also make home projects easier to start and finish. So what are some tips that will help you maintain your hand tools?
Always store your hand tools properly
It is highly recommended that you make use of a well-organized tool storage system. This will ensure that they last a long time and it will also make it easy to find them.
- Try to get a storage container as it will keep your tools more orderly and accessible.
- When these tools are accessible, you won’t need to go on a wild goose chase just to look for a screwdriver.
In addition to this, always keep your tools off the floor when storing them. You could decide on investing in bags, chests, drawers or even a shelf to store these tools. If you decide on using a chest, corrosion and anti-rust liners are the most suitable method for protecting your tools against failing.
Clean your tools
It might be an inconvenience to you (especially after you’ve finished working), but cleaning your tools is vital to their durability. To be honest, it will normally take some seconds to clean each tool, so time spent won’t be that long. It’s better to spend those seconds than spend money to replace or repair faulty tools. Most hand tools can be cleaned by using a rag to wipe them down. However, you can make use of soap and water if they’re really dirty. Make sure you thoroughly dry them when you’re done. You don’t want them to corrode.
Inspect your tools
Before or after cleaning your tools, you should inspect them to ensure that they’re in top condition.
- Inspect the blades and other parts of the tools for any dents or nicks. In case you find damage to the blades, sharpen them.
- Try to address signs of corrosion or rust before use.
- Inspect plugs and cords for damage. This is very important as damaged cords are massive fire hazards. If they’re damaged, you need to replace them. You can do this by patronizing electrical wholesalers online.
Lubricate your tools
Lubricating your tools will ensure that they’re easier to use and they last longer. The major reason for this is that tools that have moving parts tend to wear out rapidly. That’s why you need machine oil to maintain them. Be sure that you apply the oil to all the moving parts.
Monitor your environment
The best environment for your tools is a dry one, so it’s important that anywhere you keep your tools is always dry. A damp environment will corrode metals and reduce the quality of electrical components. On the other hand, a dry environment will help your tools last longer. You can purchase a dehumidifier to ensure that the tool space remains dry. Dehumidifiers are not that expensive, meaning you won’t have to break the bank to get one.