Home Real Estate Affordable Housing Options for Veterans

Affordable Housing Options for Veterans


Veterans have spent the majority or part of their professional lives protecting and serving our country. Yet, these heroes often have limited options when it comes to buying a home. That’s why certain programs have been implemented to help veterans and active-duty members of the military find secure affordable residences. If you’re looking for homes for sale in Temecula and are a military veteran, here are some viable options to consider.

Which is the New Launch Affordable Housing Project in Gurgaon 2020

SSVF Program

The SSVF or Supportive Services for Veteran Families program is made possible by several community co-ops and nonprofit organizations. This program helps low-income veterans and their families who are about to face homelessness. To properly manage each case, individuals who qualify for SSVF must verify financial need. SSVF provides additional benefits as well, such as educational planning and financial aid.


HUD-VASH is the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development – VA Supportive Housing program. For this initiative, two major government organizations are working together to provide stable, permanent housing for veterans and their relatives. This program is primarily rental-based. Veterans who want to receive HUD-VASH assistance have to receive VA case management while they’re in the program to maintain accurate records and keep track of vouchers.

Typically, the HUD-VASH is for chronically homeless veterans who are unable to secure permanent housing due to substance abuse, mental health issues, or physical ailments. However, veterans who are unable to work for other reasons and/or are in dire need may also qualify.


The GPD or Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program is designed to provide short-term lodging for homeless veterans. GPD receives its funding through per diem payments and grants to maintain the facilities designated for veteran residences. About 600 agencies contribute to the GPD fund. These agencies work with community-based organizations across the U.S. to assist at-risk veterans who need to find sustainable employment, housing, and additional services to maintain health and financial stability. Veterans can stay at a GPD-sponsored residence for up to 24 months; this helps the veteran make the necessary connections that could lead to self-sufficiency.

EUL Program

The EUL or Enhanced-Use Lease Program utilizes under-used VA campuses to create residential space for homeless veterans and their families. The campuses also provide access to benefits like financial planning, job training, support groups, internet service and computers, fitness centers, and senior companion programs. EUL can also offer playgrounds and community gardens for veterans and families of veterans to enjoy.

Within the EUL program, private sectors lease VA property and land to veterans who need housing. Typically, these sites are close to VA hospitals to provide veterans and their loved ones will convenient and quality health care. EUL provides thousands of housing units to veterans, and more are under construction.


If you’re a veteran, it’s important to be aware of your VA mortgage eligibility. If you’re not sure whether you qualify for a home, you can speak with your VA Home Loan Specialist. Most states require the following:

  • You must have served 90 consecutive days, active duty, during a time of war
  • You must have served 181 days, active duty, during peacetime
  • You have at least 6 years of service in the Reserves or National Guard
  • You are the widow/widower of a service member who passed away in the line of duty or because of a service-related injury or disability

Once you verify all applicable qualifications, you must option a COE or Certificate of Eligibility. Your COE is the proof your lender needs to qualify you for a VA mortgage loan. You can obtain the COE through an internet-based application. If you’re not able to get your COE online, speak to your lender about alternative methods.

If you are no longer in the military, you may also need to submit a DD Form 214. This indicates that you were honorably discharged and/or details your reason for leaving the military. If you’re active duty, you need a current statement of service that must be signed by your unit commander, adjutant, personnel office, or a higher ranking officer who can verify your military service. On the form, include your full name, date of birth, social security number, duration of time out of the military, and the name of the commanding officer confirming your information.

Previous articleWhy Your Construction Business Needs Fleet Tracking
Next article5 Unique Ways of Teaching History to Kids
Patricia is a freelance content creator & pro blogger. Till now she has served 3000+ clients from all over the world. As per her experience and dedication, she is famous for her writing style, that's why many blogging platforms featured her in the list of top 100 bloggers or Influencers.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here