The spine is no doubt one of the most essential body parts as it performs three very important functions in the human body. Firstly, it protects the spinal cord which is very important for the proper functioning of the brain. Secondly, the spine plays a supporting hand in making us stand by transferring the weight of the torso and upper body to the pelvis and the legs. Thirdly, the spine provides stability to the human body as it contains a lot of postural muscles which maintains our posture while we sit, stand or move.
Spine problems can be very serious and one should not ignore them even a bit. People having spine problems face difficulty in maintaining correct posture and also in making swift movements. Owing to the seriousness of the spine problems, one should react appropriately without ignorance or delay and contact expert spine specialists asap.
What Are The Main Causes Of Spine Problems?
Following points mark all the major causes of spine disorders:
- Accidental Injuries caused due to falling or accidents can induce a spine disorder.
- Genital Disorders cause spine deformity or disorder which exists since birth.
- Traumatic or a major injury can cause a spine disorder in any person.
- Spine disorders are also caused due to ageing.
Indications That You Need To Visit A Spine Specialist
Spine disorders or injuries are reflected through various symptoms which appear on various body parts of a person. The body part showing symptoms of spine disorders depend upon the part of the spine affected. Some of the common symptoms of spine disorder are rounded shoulder, rounded back, burning neck and back pain, nausea, vomiting, numbness or weakness.
If any of the symptoms faced by you is a serious and cannot be controlled through pain relief medications, it’s a sign that you should visit a spine specialist who is professional and experienced in treating every type of spine disorder.
A Spine Specialist Carries Out Expert Diagnosis
Upon visiting a spine specialist, you will be evaluated through a range of processes such as a physical test, discussion about the received symptoms & medical history of the family and finally a neurological test in case of a suspected spine disorder.
The spine specialists make sure that proper diagnosis is done and to ensure the same, they ask their patients to get a few more tests done. These tests are MRI scan, CT scan, X-ray, biopsy and EMG.
Treatments Suggested By The Spine Specialists
Depending upon the diagnosis result, one or more appropriate treatments are suggested by the spine experts. The most common treatments include:
- Back Bracing: A back brace is applied to the back of the person. This is aimed at limiting the motion of the spine in case of an injury caused to the spine.
- Therapies: In case of a minor spine injury caused due to a fall or a minor accident, ice and heat therapy works very well.
- Injections: Certain injections can cause the pain to run away from the spine such as a corticosteroid. The spine specialists usually go for injections.
- Medication: Medications work very well in case of spine disorders which has not become severe. Anti-inflammatories, painkillers etc are the medicines which can benefit people with spine disorders.
- Surgery: In case of a severe spine condition, surgery is the only option left. The surgeries are mainly for replacing the discs, connecting the vertebrae or repairing the nerves.
The spine specialists are of two types namely; surgical specialists and non-surgical specialists. Both of them have years of experience in dealing with cases of spine disorders. They have expertise in the diagnosis and treatment of spinal disorders. One should never ignore a spine problem or any of the spine disorder symptom as the condition can grow serious leading to harmful implications in the body.